Postdoctoral Scholar – Genetics, Genomics, Parasitology, and/or Entomology
School of Medicine – Microbiology & Molecular Genetics
Open May 13th, 2019 through Sunday, Jun 30, 2019 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
We are looking for scientists who have completed their PhD and have experience in one or more fields of Molecular Biology, Genetics (including CRISPR-Cas9 genome editing), Genomics, Parasitology, and/or Entomology. We are looking for a motivated and collaborative postdoctoral associate interested in developing CRISPR/Cas9 gene drive technology that facilitates the spread of effector transgenes into wild mosquito populations and then validate their effect on Plasmodium transmission in mosquitoes.
• Ph.D. in molecular biology, or a related field.
• Strong molecular biology bench skills with ability to process large sample sets (PCR and primer design, Cloning using restriction enzymes or PCR-based assembly, colony PCR, etc).
• Design, construct plasmids.
• Demonstrated experience with homology-based methods (In-Fusion®, NEBuilder®, Gibson Assembly®) and Type IIS RE-based methods (Golden Gate, MoClo).
• Demonstrated track record in Plasmodium falciparum culture and/or Plasmodium berghei model.
• Prior bench experience is mandatory.
• Troubleshooting and problem solving.
• Strong organizational skills with the ability to balance multiple projects in a fast-paced environment and bring projects to completion.
• Molecular biology experience with insect models.
• Insect transformation.
• Must be open to international travel
• Represent the lab as needed at conferences and meetings
• Participate in laboratory discussion
• Contribute to or write publications
Please create an applicant profile and upload the following:
A brief statement of research accomplishments and interests
A statement of diversity contributions, and
Names and contact information for at least three (3) references.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
Cover Letter (Optional)
Statement of Research – A brief statement including a synopsis of previous research experience and specific interests in the ongoing work
Statement of Teaching – See our guidance for writing a reflective teaching statement.
Statement of Contributions to Diversity – Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity will advance UCI’s Commitment to Inclusive Excellence.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
3-5 required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
Create an ApplicantID
Provide required information and documents
If any, provide required reference information