Fellowship Application Deadlines: April 1 & October 1 !
The Insect Genetic Technologies Research Coordination Network will promote and support peer-to-peer training for the purposes of learning how to use or apply genetic technologies or to develop and/or adapt genetic technologies to insect systems where that technology is not well established.
The IGTRCN plans to fund up to eight peer-to-peer training fellowships per year.
Prospective fellows are responsible for finding hosts for their activities. The IGTRCN database of participants is a helpful tool for finding scientists with expertise of interest to potential fellows. Once individuals with knowledge and expertise have been identified, prospective fellows are responsible for contacting them, and the director of the host laboratory, for the purposes of crafting a project and plan that will form the basis of an IGTRCN Peer-to-Peer Training Fellowship application.
Fellows will provide the IGTRCN with a post-visit report and a copy of any protocols, procedures, methods or techniques developed during the fellowship so network participants can benefit from their experiences.
Fellows: Now open to trainees outside of the U.S. (8/18/2015)
IGTRCN training fellows can be students (undergraduate or graduate), postdoctoral investigators, technicians, independent researchers or faculty. The fellowship award can be applied to expenses related to the travel and subsistence of the fellow during their visit to the host institution. Peer-to-peer training fellowships are intended to support short-term visits for the purposes of working on specific objectives. The duration of the visit will be for up to 6 months and will be determined by the fellow and their host. Extensions beyond 6 months are possible by agreement with the host lab (though post-vist reports will be due immediately after the IGTRCN sponsored time period). The IGTRCN will reimburse fellows for eligible expenses up to a maximum of $3000. Fellows must identify a host prior to applying. Fellows must be willing to provide the IGTRCN with a post-visit report and a copy of any protocols, procedures, methods or techniques developed during the fellowship. Post-visit reports and addendums will be posted on the IGTRCN website.
Hosts: Training fellows are not restricted in their choice of host institutions or laboratories; host institutions may be domestic or foreign. Laboratories hosting IGTRCN training fellows will receive up to $1000 to cover costs associated with the fellow’s visit such as laboratory consumables, services and the time of staff. Hosts must be identified prior to the time of application.
Activities: The IGTRCN peer-to-peer training program intends to foster the development and use of insect genetic technologies across fields of insect science. Activities consistent with the goals and objectives of the IGTRCN are eligible for support.
Application for Peer-to-Peer Training Fellowship: Applicants must complete the online application, which comprises the following elements. Written elements must be provided in PDF format and should be prepared in advance of beginning the online application.
- Proposal in PDF. Proposals should be a maximum of two pages (not including literature citations) and should cover the following points:
- goals ;
- scientific merit;
- significance to the applicant and host laboratory;
- activity plan and timetable;
- justification and relation to goals of the IGTRCN;
- data dissemination plan;
- Applicant’s CV in PDF
- Applicant’s photo portrait, optional (minimum size 240 x 320 pixels)
- Host lab name, host lab director name, host lab director email address
- Academic advisor name, academic advisor email address (for student and technician applicants only)
- Applicant’s acknowledgement of terms and conditions of the award
Statement of Support / Acknowledgement of Terms and Conditions: To complete the application, IGTRCN requires statements of support and acknowledgements of the terms and conditions of the award from host lab director, and applicant’s academic advisor (if the applicant is a student or technician). Requests for statements of support and acknowledgements of terms and conditions are automatically emailed upon submission of the application.
To apply for a peer-to-peer training fellowship, you must have an account, be logged in, and have joined the IGRTCN.
Terms and Conditions
- Fellows must initiate their visit to the host laboratory within nine months of the initial award. Failure to do so will result in the IGTRCN resources associated with the fellowship being reprogrammed for other network-related purposes.
- Fellows will be supported with up to $3000 towards travel, accommodation and subsistence costs after providing the IGTRCN with itemized receipts for allowable expenses. Reimbursement is contingent upon the IGTRCN receiving a post-visit report and addendums.
- Hosts can apply for up to $1000 to offset costs associated with the visitor including reagents, supplies, services and time of technical personnel. This will be paid after the visit.
- A post-visit report will be prepared by the fellow and will describe the objectives of the visit, the accomplishments and the degree of success of the fellowship activities (one to two pages). Protocols or procedures or technologies developed during the fellowship will be provided as an addendum to the post-visit report.
- Post-visit reports and addendums will be posted on the IGTRCN website.
- IGTRCN sponsored activities that will be subject to post-visit disclosure restrictions and whose results cannot be shared with the IGTRCN are not appropriate for support by the IGTRCN.
- By accepting resources from the IGTRCN all parties agree to comply with the data-sharing plan of the IGTRCN.
Deadlines for Applications
Applications will be due on April 1 and October 1 of each year, beginning in October 1, 2014. Award decisions will be made and communicated to applicants by November 1 and May 1 of the application year. In years when the application due date falls on a Saturday or Sunday, applications will be accepted until midnight (EST) of the Monday following the deadline date.